« Home | These Hollow Men... (Part2) » | These Hollow Men... » | LD Stand - LCC Talent show 1984 » 

Spunky Q



In 1989, my friend Bruce from These Hollow Men... met up with a drummer named Masai and a keyboardist named Dave. They started playing funk and jazz. They did a lot of jamming. One day Bruce asked me to come by and join them. Not long after, Spunky Q was born. 

We did our first show at Station 10 with a four piece horn section. We played mostly instrumental songs that we had written along with a few covers like "Hang Up Your Hang Ups" by Herbie Hancock and "Broadway" by George Benson, sung by Dave. Shortly after, Masai's girlfriend Angelique joined us and became our singer. We also added a great sax player named Craig and a percussionist named Chimwemwe. We played a mix of covers and originals around Montreal for about two years. 

In 1991, we recorded a song I wrote called "Got This Love" for a Montreal compilation CD. The song was recorded at Starbase studios in NDG and produced by Frank marino.

In the fall of 1991, I began my studies at Concordia University. I decided to do a degree in music. In my first class, I met a guy I'd known only in passing at Vanier, where we'd both done our D.E.C. in music. His name was Merlin. I asked him if he wanted to join Spunky Q as our second lead vocalist. He said yes. The band stayed together for another few months. Merlin eventually left to form his own band and asked me if I'd play guitar...